Saturday, August 20, 2011

Day 1 Juice Cleanse

Day 1 Juice Cleanse: Woohoo, I survived!!!!! Ok so here's what happened on Day 1. I woke up and had my juice. I was home all day so I was able to juice as soon as I felt hungry. I was not starving nor did I have a headache, although I did feel tired. Really tired. I did have a craving for bread, olives, pizza, and guacamole throughout different times of the day. As soon as this happens, it's time to have some juice and lots of water, especially after each meal.

As an aside, if you drink coffee or any caffeine you may feel headache-y the first few days. This is supposed to be due to the toxins leaving your system.

I had to cook for my 7 year old and that was a bit hard. Every time I made something or opened the fridge I wanted to reach out and just eat the food I saw. Just to taste it. As soon as that would happen, I would make myself some juice. Even my daughter enjoyed juicing. Whenever she had a meal I would include some fresh apple-carrot juice. She didn't even realize it had carrots (insert mad scientist laugh here). Just to reiterate, she had meals. She is not doing the juice cleanse as children should not do this, or any other cleanse.

Towards the evening I got a burst of energy and Lance, Skye, and I went out and bought a Breville Ikon Juicer from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. This juicer is pretty cool. It's got a quiet motor, however as soon as you start putting food in, it gets really loud. The nice part is it has different settings depending on what it is your juicing so you can switch between leafy greens and harder foods to get the most juice.

I started off yesterday weighing 125 lbs. This morning I weighed myself and saw that I was 122 lbs. Yay! So yes, not only do you cleanse your body of toxins, but one of the side effects happens to be weight loss, always a favorite.







So these are my before shots, ugh. Since starting this blog (not the actual cleanse) I have lost 7 pounds. Before my blog I was still 7 lbs. heavier than in these pictures. Sometimes you just really let yourself go. LOL. For me though, I know my weight gain comes from stress. As soon as I get stressed the food comes pouring in! Please excuse the lovely water stains on my shirt as I had just finished washing my juicer at that point. Lovely.


I have done the master cleanse in the past (not my favorite cleanse) and I've noticed that the first day you always lose 3lbs and then about a 1lb a day after that. Generally, on the master cleanse for ten days I will lose about 10 lbs, men will lose anywhere from 15-20 lbs. This cleanse seems like it's going to work the same way. Although, I feel that this cleanse will not only taste better but it will give you more nutrients.

Here is what I plan on doing after the cleanse is over:

On the 11th day I plan on having juice for breakfast, a salad which I will blend in my blender for lunch, a second blended salad for dinner.  This is so I can ease my stomach back to eating normally.

On the 12th day I will do juice for breakfast, one blended salad, and in the evening I will have a regular salad (not blended).

On days 13-21 I will do juice and salads after that. Nothing crazy and certainly no meat, dairy, or processed food.

If you think about it, this is really a 21 day cleanse. I've learned the hard way that days 13-21 are hard  because you want to just jump into eating regular meals. Do not do this. Not only can you mess up your system but you will gain all the weight back. This is a 21 day commitment and really a lifelong commitment, as we should be drinking fresh juice everyday.

Here are a few of the juice recipes I made yesterday:

Super Carrot Juice
3 carrots
2 celery stalks
1 apple

Green Apple Juice
5 collard green leaves
2 carrots
2 apples

Onion Ring
5 red leaf lettuce leaves
3 carrots
2 kale leaves
1 green onion (scallion)
1 apple

Stay Away Ed Cullen
6 kale leaves
1 handful of parsley
2 collard green leaves
1 carrot
1 beet
1 broccoli stalk
1 yellow squash
1 head of garlic

Basically, I just blended a lot of what I already had with a couple of other veggies. You really can't go wrong with juicing. I went to the grocery store, picked out what I liked and wham. I was juicing! Have fun and enjoy!

Melissa
Our Daily Veg

The information contained in this Website is provided for general informational purposes only. It is not intended as and should not be relied upon as medical advice. The information may not apply to you and before you use any of the information provided in the site, you should contact a qualified medical, dietary, fitness or other appropriate professional. If you utilize any information provided in this site, you do so at your own risk and you specifically waive any right to make any claim against Our Daily Veg or representatives as the result of the use of such information.

3 comments:

  1. awesome ideas for juicing
    Is your juicer complicated to wash? I have a Jack LaLanne Power juicer and I hate taking it apart to wash it. Is yours better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I think any juicer will work. I once bought a jack lalanne juicer and loved it but I had to return it because it was too much work to clean. Also, I seem to remember it having this sharp blade that you had to remove. This one is easier to clean when I compare it to the lalanne that I had. I do like it a lot as it has less edges so it makes it easier to wipe.

    Also, I forgot to add this: make sure you take an herbal laxative tea first thing in the morning and in the evening as this will help with bowel movements. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. After researching other websites, it's up to you how you use the laxative. I think I'm only going to use it if I'm having bowel movement issues. Other than that I'm going to do an experiment and refrain from using them until and only if I need to.

    ReplyDelete