Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Vegan Chocolate Balls

Helllllooooo Daily Veggers! Today we focus on chocolate!!!




 Let me start off by saying this, when I embarked on this vegan adventure I quickly came to the realization that I would not be eating milk chocolate again. Here I'll show you a video of the day I found out I wouldn't be eating chocolate anymore:


Yeah, that about sums it up. Anyway it turns out I still can have chocolate, just not milk chocolate. Not only does it taste the same as regular chocolate (if not better) it's actually good for you!

Let's do a quick history of chocolate, shall we? Chocolate was used for ceremonial purposes by the Aztecs and used as an offering to the gods (can you blame them?). Chocolate was also used by the Aztecs to fight fatigue and was not sweetened. In fact chile pepper was added to spice it up. Which brings me to today's recipe. Spicy Chocolate Balls of Love. Okay maybe not of love, but close enough.

Spicy Chocolate Balls
makes 20 chocolate balls

2 cups dates
3/4 cup raw cacao nibs
3 tablespoons raw cacao powder
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon maca powder
2 teaspoons agave
1 teaspoon spirulina
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
dash of salt

In a food processor, process dates using the "s" blade until you get a doughy paste. Add all ingredients  (EXCEPT for cacao nibs) and process. Remove "dough" from processor and begin to form small chocolate balls with your hands. Once you have a round ball, roll it onto a plate with cacao nibs until completely covered. Place in a sealed container and refrigerate overnight. The next day you'll have the best Spicy Chocolate Balls waiting for you.



Try it and let me know what you think!

Melissa
Our Daily Veg

1 comment:

  1. Wow these look de- lish! What is spirulina and where do you get your ingredients?

    ReplyDelete