Monday, November 28, 2011

Jackfruit Carnitas with Tomatillo Sauce

I'm on a jackfruit kick! I want to thank all of my friends who helped in the finding of this delicacy. I especially want to thank my friend Rommel for letting me know where to buy this beautiful fruit! Just to reiterate you can purchase this fruit fresh if it's in season or canned from your local Asian market. I purchased mine canned from 99 Ranch Market in Arcadia. OK. Here we go!!!



Tomatillo Sauce
6 tomatillos
1/2 red onion 
2 cloves garlic
handful of cilantro
1 teaspoon oregano
salt (to taste)

In a saucepan boil tomatillos for 10-15 minutes. Remove from stove, drain and place tomatillos in blender. Blend. Once you have a smooth sauce, in the same blender with the tomatillos add onion, garlic, cilantro, oregano, and salt. Blend for about 2-3 seconds on the mix cycle.


Jackfruit Carnitas
1 - 20 oz can jackfruit in brine (not in syrup)
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 red onion diced
6 cloves garlic
Juice from 1 lemon
2 tablespoons Braggs Liquid Aminos

In a pan, heat coconut oil. Add 1/2 red onion to oil and saute for 3 minutes. Add jackfruit, brine and all. Cook for 30 minutes or until brine is almost completely evaporated. As it is cooking begin breaking up jackfruit with your cooking spatula or spoon. Add Braggs Liquid Aminos, lemon, tomatillo sauce, and garlic. Cook for 5-10 minutes. Try it and let me know what you think!




Melissa
Our Daily Veg

No comments:

Post a Comment